[Rabbits] [Event] Dragon*Con '05 by David Tyberg

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 5 Sep 2005 23:41:31 -0400
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that David Tyberg has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=Dfunkman

========
Title: Dragon*Con '05
Location: Hyatt Regency Hotel, Atlanta
Date: September 2-5, 2005

We had a blast teaching people how to play Looney Labs games, especially using our Giant Icehouse Pyramids!  Excuse me if I'm a bit incoherent, but I spent more time gaming in the past 4 days than I did sleeping.  I think I spent between 10 and 15 hours officially volunteering to teach Looney Labs games at Dragon*Con '05.  I think roughly 20,000 people attended Dragon*Con this year.  I'm pretty sure I personally taught Looney Labs games, mostly Giant Ice Towers, to over 100 people, with well over a thousand being exposed to games as they passed by out in the hallway in front of the gaming room.

Let's see... I also helped prepare for the first game of Giant Circular Fluxx, doing a bit of setup and then quickly getting some Fluxx newbies up to speed before we started in with the Giant Circular rules.  (BTW, Marc has my utmost respect for making that ball of sheer insanity work as smoothly as it did.)  We also did a couple games of Giant Volcano, (Thanks go to Amy for bringing her beautifully detailed giant stashes to add to the mix.) which provided a nice respite from Giant Ice Towers, which was the order of the rest of Sunday night.  Actually, it was nearly the order of my gaming for the whole weekend.

Some suggestions for next year:

1.  Please bring more support gear next time.  We ran out of stickers, rules cards and promo cards at an alarming rate.

2.  There's talk next year of giving us our own room within which to conduct a little experiment.  However, I worry about keeping the giant pyramids and AYAW out of sight.  As hectic as it was at times, having those games visible in a high traffic area acted as a HUGE draw.  Even if we get our own room, I think it'd be to our advantage to continue to play these two eye-catchers where they can still be seen by many passers-by.  Of course, we'll have to wait to work this out until details about plans for next year trickle in.

3.  What about doing some sort of giant pyramid event outdoors?  Spending the whole weekend indoors and missing the delightful weather got me to thinking: There are several green spaces very near to the hotels.  Why not take some giant pyramids out there during the day at one of those times when it's too crowded to demo indoors?  Unfortunately, none of these spaces are particularly high in traffic, but it could be a short event and we could easily publicize it.  Perhaps we could bill it as a chance for more experienced players and rabbits to actually play instead of teach.  Or we could use it as an opportunity to put the projected corrugated plastic pyramids through their paces.

4.  In fact, come to think of it, it'd be awesome to organize some sort of rabbit social.  What with Dragon*Con being such a draw for rabbits from around the southeast and beyond, it's not as if we can all get together and hang out under normal circumstances.  I'd love a small chance to get to know these people who share my dedication to these games without always being interrupted to explain what we're doing.  Plus, an exclusive rabbit-only event might spur rabbit list applications.

It was a blast to come back to Dragon*Con as a rabbit and help spread the joy of these games I fell in love with just a year ago.  Much love and hugs to all fellow rabbits in attendence and a special thanks to Kristin and Russell for all their help.  Hope everyone had safe trips back home.  Right now I'm going to embark on the short trip from my compy to my bed.

Love,
David the bass-playing rabbit
Decatur, GA