[Rabbits] [Event] DartCon by Brian Campbell

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 23 Apr 2006 18:32:23 -0400
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Brian Campbell has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=lambda

========
Title: DartCon
Location: Hanover, NH
Date: April 21-23, 2006

DartCon is a small gaming convention run by Alpha Theta coeducation fraternity at Dartmouth College. I ran an official Icehouse demo on Saturday from 4 to 6 PM, and played some other Looney Labs games when I was there.

On Friday, when I showed up, some people were just getting started playing a game of Fluxx, so I dealt myself in and played several games with them. Two of the players were new to the game, and one of the new players won every game she played! We played a game of The Big Idea (a Cheapass game), and then a couple of the players left, so I taught Blam! and Torpedo to the remaining player. Blam! was a little too abstract for her, but Torpedo went over well.

On Saturday, I showed up at my scheduled time, and the place was dead. After waiting around for a few minutes, however, someone showed up, wondering what the little plastic pyramids were. I explained the idea of Icehouse pieces, and taught him Torpedo, which went over well. After a game or two, someone else showed up and joined in, we played a couple more games, and then we moved on to IceTowers, which was also a hit. I then started a game of Zendo, which was a real hit; people started showing up, crowding around to try and figure out the rule, and we had at least a half dozen games with 3 or 4 students each, with people rotating in and out. While we were playing, I described the Icehouse game system to people, and the new form it was being sold in, Treehouse, although I don't have a Treehouse set yet so I couldn't show it to them.

All in all, it was a pretty good weekend, with probably a total of 5 hours of Looney Labs gaming, at least when I was around.