Re: [Rabbits] [Event] Kazoodle's Toys Staff Demo by Joseph Peterson

  • From"Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 8 Jun 2006 15:34:31 -0500
This SO rocks!!  Thank you SO much for doing all this Joseph!  I have been talking w/ Mary at Kazoodles for a bit in my Sales Rabbit mode and am so glad that Josh hooked you and this store up!!!

You (and all the other great Rabbits out there doin demos) make my job SO much easier.  It sounds like you had a fantastic time and I wish I'd been there!!

Now I've got to call Mary and see how soon she needs a restock.  Thanks Joseph!  You made my day!
Carol

On 6/4/06, SuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Joseph Peterson has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=jeep

========
Title: Kazoodle's Toys Staff Demo
Location: Vancouver, WA
Date: 6/3/2006

I received an e-mail from Josh asking if I'd contact Mary at Kazoodle's ( www.kazoodlestoys.com) to set up a demo.  I surprised he with an e-mail, since she apparently was at a convention and had just talked to the Looney Labs booth that day.  Since she was at the convention, she asked that we set up something when she got back.  After a little over a week, I called her and found out that what she really wanted was for me to come in and teach the staff a little about the games.

I showed up a couple minutes before the appointed time (5pm) and met April, who was super excited to play games.  She introduced me to Sunny, Mary (the Person of Authority), and Bob (Mary's Husband).  We got a table set up and I looked around the store.  It was nice.  It's a new toy store.  They've been open only for 3 months.  It was nice to see that they had some quality games in stock.  They were still open for another 30 minutes, but they expected it to be dead.  They were wrong and surprised.

Anyway, we started with Treehouse and it was a big hit.  They all enjoyed the first game, which Bob won.  April claims it's because she had to tend the register for a little bit.  We then played a second game and April won and talked a little smack.  I think we could have played Treehouse for the whole night.  I didn't think that would be the best use of the time though, so I reluctantly suggested we try another game.

We played EcoFluxx.  It was another hit.  Sunny put down Sunshine on turn one, and I think that just set the tone for the whole game.  They were laughing and having a grand time.  Mary was just wondering how long the game was going to take (worried that it would be "Monopoly length") when Sunny put down the winning goal.  There was a little talk about the game, which they all enjoyed and they looked through the original Fluxx.  They were laughing at some of the cards and wondering things like "What do you suppose the goal is that takes 'cookies' and 'time'?"  (Sunny decided the answer was "fat" ;) )

Chrononauts didn't go so well, though.  April was excited to play it, until the timeline was set up, then she was wondering about it.  There was a flurry of activity outside the door during the explanation, so there was some confusion about the rules.  There was some great discussions about "I remember I was at ... when ..."  I think they started getting the hang of things, but I don't think they felt they were making progress towards their goal.  After another turn, I think they were getting the idea and I suggested we move on to the next game.

We played Cosmic Coasters next.  There was a bit of confusion at first when people tried to understand the object and how to accoumplish it.  April had to leave, so I took her spot.  I don't think I won a battle of RPS in the first half of the game.  Sunny was poised to win, and when I mentioned that I was "forced" to try to kick her off one of my control points, Bob had a Eureka moment.  I kept Sunny from winning with a brilliant "good old rock" strategy.  But Bob made a series of excellent moves to win that game.

We didn't have time to get to Aquarius or Nanofictionary.  (We would have had to use my copy of Aquarius and a copy of Nano, since their copies were on loan to April and she forgot to bring them back for the demo.)

If I had to do it over again, I'd have done Aquarius instead of Chrononauts.  We might have even been able to fit in a Nanofictionary game.  It was way too late, though, and Mary commented that she had overloaded on new games.  Next time I'm up visiting our cousins in Vancouver, I'll see if they want to learn Aquarius and NanoFictionary.  We'd need a few more people for AYAW?, though.

Overall, it was a fun trip.