Re: [Rabbits] Di's Origins Rabbit Report

  • FromDi <sudduthd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 11 Jul 2006 12:19:06 -0500

On 7/11/06, Kristin Looney <event-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the awesome report, Di!

Thanks!  I had a Great Time!!  Thanks for letting me play with you guys!

We have already decided that at GenCon we are going to implement
the rule of giving out the tree after trying three games, but had
not been planning to formalize it in the write-up.  After reading
your description I'm rethinking that maybe we should put that bit
formally in the rules... it sounds like it was great for players
to know this in advance...

Actually, I didn't tell folks about my "rule" ahead of time and would recommend it not be in the "official rules".  Everyone seemed willing to play one game, most folks were willing to play 2.  After they lost the 2nd game was when I generally told them about the "play 3 and get the card anyway" rule.  That tended to perk them right up.  Occasionally I'd run into someone reluctant to play the 2nd game and would spring the rule on them then, but generally not until their 2nd loss.  Keeping it "quiet" until then really seemed to motivate them to *win* the card on their 3rd attempt rather than just be "given" it, but knowing there was an end-in-sight brought them out of any "I'm never, ever going to win" funk.   And there were a *few* who absolutely refused to take the card until they really, really *won* the card.  They were quite cute.

It also turned out to be a good "rule" when playing against groups of family/friends.  All 3-4 of them could play 3 games and everyone would get the card, even if one of the group turned out to be good enough to stomp us all, repeatedly.

I also think it's a good rule to keep from having to flagrantly "throw" games.  As much as people wanted the cards, they didn't seem to like being in a situation where they could tell that the rabbit was intentionally playing to lose.  (well, the kids wanted to win Right Away, but the adults seemed to want a "real" game)

Di  <*>