Re: [Rabbits] music for demo

  • FromMarnen Laibow-Koser <marnen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 27 Jul 2006 12:13:43 -0400
On Jul 27, 2006, at 5:16 AM, Shadowcat wrote:
[...]
	For those that have not heard (of) Blackmore's night, it is Rictchie
Blackmore, from Deep Purple, with his present lady doing
psudo-renaissance Faire music. The web sight is www.blackmoresnight.com
 it is fun stuff.

It's good stuff indeed, and I'm glad to see it mentioned. It's also probably one of the few bands mentioned that had a Rabbit as a member! I was Blackmore's Night's violinist in 2003 and 2004 (they billed me as Lord Marnen of Wolfhurst). 'Twas an interesting gig, and we played all over Europe, which was lots o' fun.

Now for a vain attempt to return to topic. I would generally advise against playing music at game demos, but I'm probably weird that way -- I'm one of the few musicians I've met who doesn't like to listen to "background" music. Personally, I think I would find most music too distracting if I'm playing strategy games, as I'd be wanting to follow both the music and the game, at least if the music has any complexity. "Atmospheric" stuff like Vangelis (as another poster suggested) is probably OK -- it's simple and slow-moving, so there aren't a lot of events on the music thread getting in the way of the gameplay thread.

YMMV. Some people find that music *helps* their concentration on complex issues like strategy games. (Actually, I do too...as long as I don't let it take over my attention. The problem is that it's far too easy for it to take over.)

	  Shadowcat

Best,
--