[Rabbits] [Event] GenCon 2006 by Laurie Rich

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 22 Aug 2006 18:26:15 -0400
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Laurie Rich has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=knitmeapony

========
Title: GenCon 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN (GenCon)
Date: 8/10-8/13

GenCon was fantastic.  What I did:
1) Helped out in the booth.
2) Demo'ed at several of my events while waiting for people to get there, things to start, etc.
3) Blab rabbitted just about everywhere because of my badge (people -love- to ask about your 'gamemaster' badge, and saying 'board game' piques interest).

The Good:
 - Being a Booth Rabbit is wildly different from the room.  It's fast-paced and good for the brain.  Big sense of accomplishment when you see someone go right over to pick up a copy of the game after playing two or three rounds with you.
- Sharing the booth with the Paizo folks was fantastic; the crossover with Cheapass games especially was most excellent.
- Carrying the Lab Reports with me (and my Treehouse set) to all my events led to folks coming by; never underestimate the power of downtime.

The Bad:
 - Confusion about whether or not you can earn a happy flower with tickets or for free.
 - In the same vein, the instructions sheet seemed incomplete; I'd have liked stuff like the map to the lab on it. (It's possible I missed things printed on it, but I don't think I did).

The Suggestions:
 - The instruction sheet was helpful, but the breakdown of the jobs ended up not going as planned -- for instance, when you're demo'ing, you're a barker too.
 - The standup tables were fantastic, but it'd have been nice to have a little more room (isn't that always the case?)
 - One of the big 'not enough room' things was that people had backpacks, coats, swag, etc.  It'd be nice to have a place for people to put things briefly while demo'ing.
 - It'd be nice to have a selling guide too -- I was familiar with all the card games, but Treehouse and Ice House I had to teach myself as I went.