[Rabbits] Re: Re: Cyberboard gamebox for pyramid games

  • Fromjdunaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateFri, 19 Oct 2007 17:10:25 +0000 (GMT)
> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:36:30 -0400
> From: Christopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Rabbits] Cyberboard gamebox for pyramid games
> To: Rabbits Discussion List <rabbits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Oct 17, 2007, at 11:43 PM, jdunaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Please note that at this time, there is no Mac version of
> > Cyberboard, only a Windows version, nor do I know if there will be
> > a Mac version. I certainly hope so as it's an awesome PBEM gaming
> > system.

> How was this developed?  I'm wondering for options for porting.

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:55:56 -0400
> From: Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Rabbits] Cyberboard gamebox for pyramid games
> To: Rabbits Discussion List <rabbits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> On Oct 18, 2007, at 5:36 AM, Christopher Hickman wrote:
>
>> On Oct 17, 2007, at 11:43 PM, jdunaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Please note that at this time, there is no Mac version of
>> Cyberboard, only a Windows version, nor do I know if there will be
>> a Mac version. I certainly hope so as it's an awesome PBEM gaming
>> system.
>>
>> How was this developed?  I'm wondering for options for porting.
>
> As was I.  Presumably, since it's PBEM, it should be possible to
> write a Mac client that understands the same e-mail messages and
> input files, although given that, I'm surprised that no one's already
> done it (or that's what a brief Web search would turn up).
>
>Anyway, great idea, Jim!  (And long time no see.)

The Cyberboard system uses two main files. The game file, which is created from the scenario file (which in turn is based upon the gamebox). This file contains all of the information on the game, including the current status and the history of all of the moves made by each player. This file gets emailed upon creation of the game to each player and is maintained via the Cyberboard Player program.

The second file is the game move file, which is a recording of all of the moves a player takes during his/her turn. This is the file that all of the players email to all of the other players upon completion of their turn. This file is then viewed and incorporated into the game file by the Cyberboard Player.

Basically, the Cyberboard Designer is only used to create the gamebox. Everything else (scenario creation, game creation and game play) is done with the Cyberboard Player.

It has been a long time, Marnen. This is one of the reasons why I created the gamebox. So Rabbits can still play games with other Rabbits they only see once is awhile.

I hope all is will with you and Millie. Will you be making down for NonCon this year (Feb 22-24)? I want a Zendo rematch!!!!! Between you and Janine, I'm tired of being mopped like a dirty floor and I'm out for vengeance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim