Re: [Rabbits] Pennsic

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 15 Jul 2008 14:21:07 -0400
On Jul 15, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Elliott C. Evans wrote:

I'll be up at the Pennsic War starting the middle weekend and
staying until the bitter end. I almost never manage to get
together with other Rabbits at Pennsic, but I keep dreaming,
so here's my annual post.

Hey, I'll also be at Pennsic. We should definitely get together. I'll be their for the full two weeks, though I'm not sure exactly when in the first weekend I'll be arriving.

I camp with Clan Yama Kaminari (a Japanese themed group) in
East 3, which is the block SE of the main food merchant area.

I camp with Folkvang (which will be listed as Quatrefoil, since several groups team up to get a better block of land), which is in N21, by the North Gate (convenient for me as an archer, it's about the shortest possible walk to the archery range).

There is typically some gaming going on in our clan pavilion
as another Rabbit, Trevor (THL Cadell Blaidd du), tends to
bring a big tub of games with him as well as his purple bag.
You can probably just swing by anytime during the day and you
have a 50% chance of finding me in camp. Ask for "Elliott";
I don't have a SCA name despite a dozen years of Pennsic
attendance.

There tends to be a decent amount of gaming in our group (imagine that, gaming geeks at an SCA event?). Most of it actually goes on in Sharc Pit, right next to us, which has fairly blurry boundaries with Folkvang, and is part of the same land group, Quatrefoil. I haven't pulled out my unpurple bag much yet (at all? not sure), and there's a bit more Munchkin than I can generally stomach, but people there like lots of games so we could probably convince them to play other stuff. Ask for Joris, as that's what I go by in the SCA (though some people will know me by Brian as well if you forget).

Oh, also, not sure if any of you know him, but David Hurd of Face 2 Face games camps with Sharc Pit as well (where he goes by Ogedei).

If you're looking for something to do on Friday night of the
second week, the clan's Bad Japanese Accent Karaoke Night is
legendary. The mostly annual Fertility Festival is probably
going to be on Thursday afternoon, so keep your eyes open.

While at Pennsic, don't forget to stop by the Period Games
Tent (http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn37/AANDS/gaming.html) too.
Unfortunately, while Icehouse is a 10,000 year old game,
apparently its Martian pedigree disqualifies it from the
period tent.

Somehow, though I love gaming and play several period games (Go and Nine Men's Morris being my favorites), I've never actually made it to the period games tent other than to poke my head in. It may be because the tent is so small, and always looked overcrowded every time I stopped by.

I will also likely be doing a lot of juggling at Pennsic. There is nothing formal planned, but I'll probably be trying to wrangle up an open juggling session/trickswap or two. That usually happens around the amphitheater (which yes, is in the region near the bathrooms and thus the septic tank, and so frequently has a bit of, er, fragrance).

Hope to see you there! I'll try and remember to stop in at Clan Yama Kaminari.

-- Joris de Tolosa, MKA Brian Campbell