[Rabbits] [Event] Shotwell-Con

  • FromTheLoneGoldfish <thelonegoldfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 19 Aug 2008 16:16:58 -0400
Two of my friends from Chicago (Steve and Dia) got married over the
weekend (they sadly did not know that they were double booking
GenCon). Some lessons were learned, some games were played, some fun
was had.

The story starts with me checking up on them Friday morning to confirm
some details such as the time of the event and if I needed to pick up
any transportationless friends. The only request they had of me was
(paraphrased): "How many copies of fluxx can you get?".

Right before I moved back to Terre Haute, IN in 2006, I gave them a
copy of Flowers and Fluxx as an engagement gift (and because I had six
copies of Fluxx in my possession due to various circumstances), and it
seems when they went to visit the groom's family, they had brought it
out because they needed a game they could teach to his non-gaming
family.

Apparently it went over so well that Steve's mother wanted to give a
copy of Fluxx to all who had attended the Iowa reception (his mother
also came out to the Chicago reception), but they couldn't find a copy
of the game in the store nearby so they asked me to find as many
copies as I could on their behalf.

I managed to find and purchase 2 copies of Family Fluxx in the only
game store in Terre Haute, in addition to the last extra copy of Fluxx
from the cache mentioned earlier... (I also brought some extra copies
of Cosmic Coasters)

The reception itself went from 7 to 10pm, a few games of Fluxx were
played along with Tsuro... there was about 15-20 people in attendance.

As for the lessons learned (reinforced): Never exceed the recommended
number of players for a game unless you're sure it won't ruin it...
Fluxx can reach a point where the keepers and cards are spread so thin
that there's really no way for someone to win. The first game of Fluxx
lasted far too long.

That's enough of my long-winded narrative. They all lived happily over
the next few days until this was written. The end.

-Evan