Re: [Rabbits] Rabbits Digest, Vol 60, Issue 8

  • From"Laurie J. Rich" <knitmeapony@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 21 May 2010 13:56:05 -0500
There's a concern I've had for a long time about the various names -- while 'Mad Science' has a different connotation and history behind it, going to 'lunatics' hits right smack into ableist behavior.

Some folks over at FWD have done a much better job of explaining why exploiting those words and stereotypes are a bad idea: http://disabledfeminists.com/category/ableist-word-profile/  The first post there, on 'crazy', is the most relevant, but to get an over-all sense I recommend taking a few to read through why they're uncomfortable.

I know Looney is such an easy pun, and it's fun and easy to say, but if there's rebranding afoot I'd rather it end up less, not more, potentially offensive to folks.

Laurie.

"…The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter."
President Jimmy Carter