Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

[Something] CCG Money Hole (was: Demoing at otherRabbit's turf?)

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 17 Nov 2006 14:19:00 +0000
Moved this off the rabbits list, because I am taking it far off
topic.

Carlton N. wrote:
> I did fall into the money hole that is CCG's  well actually just
> Magic. I stopped when I saw it for the money hole that it was.

The only consolation is that the creators of Magic never really
anticipated that it would become the money hole that it did. They
figured people would buy a starter deck and a few boosters, and
then just play from there. They were truly astounded when people
started trying to get complete sets and when the first print run
sold out in a month.

The real shame of all this is that (at least while I was playing)
Magic is a darn fine game. It's fast, with a good combination of
luck, strategy, and tactics. Some of the problems that cropped up
in the long term simply didn't exist back then. For instance, the
game wasn't a money pit when it was impossible to buy more cards.
=^>

Also, to be fair, I know a number of people who have managed to
pull more money out of the hole than they put in. I think the
first printing of Aquarius was funded this way.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx