Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Sad story, makes me angry

  • From"Joe" <merikus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 08 Dec 2006 16:09:42 -0500
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:27:38 -0600, "Laurie J. Rich"
<knitmeapony@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> THIS is why I am becoming a lawyer.  Every day, more cases that make
> me say 'what is wrong with our system?'

This is one of the reasons I quit being a lawyer.  It's not like the guy
didn't have legal representation--in fact, the article said that the
defendant was an ivy league law school graduate.  The system is so
broken at this point, that, in my personal opinion, we need a grassroots
change in perspective among the american people (which I believe can
only be accomplished through education).  Us lawyers can argue until
we're blue in the face, but--particularly in our current neocon climate
and conservative judiciary--we end up with cases like this.  Until we
have grassroots change, we will have people being locked up for taking
their prescriptions meds, and others being locked up for inhaling
burning plant matter.

Sorry.  My cynicism just bubbled to the surface and needed a release. :(

~Joe