Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Another one that pisses me off

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 14 Dec 2006 19:27:02 -0500
Actually, if you zoom in, you'll see that Vermont (my home state :) and Maine are also free of any incidents. "Live Free Or Die" New Hampshire has one incident, but it turned out that no-knock warrants are illegal in New Hampshire, and the police department got fined a large amount. Not the result I would have preferred, but at least I know that they're illegal and aren't as likely to happen now that the police have gotten a slap on the wrist.

The really disturbing thing about all of this is that these are the incidents that have gotten enough press for the Cato institute to have heard about them. Given that one of the primary purposes of these no-knock warrants is to intimidate people, via Gestapo-like tactics, I'm sure there are many times as many incidents that go unreported. In many cases, when a really bad incident happens and gets press, you hear several other people from the community start chiming in about incidents that happened earlier that they were too scared to report.