Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

[Eco] Welcome to the eco list!

  • FromLuisa <luisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 29 Jan 2007 13:20:07 -0500
Hello Everyone!

Thank you for subscribing to the new Looney Labs Eco list. And thank you for reading the Entreaties from the Green Fairy.

I have been doing some research of my own and found out that recycling paper actually uses a bit less energy than to harvest it from scratch. Although both processes have pros and cons. It seems everyone so far in this list has the sense that recycling paper might not be as economically feasible as recycling aluminum, but it is still worth it. I am glad some governments actually have taxes on trash collection to encourage people to think about what they are throwing out. Thank you all for your postings!

I have cut a paragraph from the web site of "Energy Information Administration, Official Energy Statistics from the U.S. Government" <http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

Begin quote
So does paper recycling save energy?
Yes it does, although the energy savings are not as spectacular as they are with aluminum and steel recycling.

A paper mill uses 40 percent less energy to make paper from recycled paper than it does to make paper from fresh lumber. However, a recycling mill may consume more fossil fuels than a paper mill. Paper mills generate much of their energy from waste wood, but recycling mills purchase most of their energy from local power companies or use on-site cogeneration facilities.

Making recycled paper does require fewer chemicals and bleaches than making all-new paper. Although recycled paper is less polluting than paper made from wood fiber, both processes produce different by-products. Paper mills may emit more sulfur dioxide, but recycling mills may produce more sludge. Deinking at Cross Pointe?s Miami, Ohio mill results in 22 pounds of sludge for every 100 pounds of wastepaper recycled.

Paper recycling does mean fewer trees are used to make paper, but all-new paper is almost always made from trees specifically grown for papermaking. A tree harvested for papermaking is soon replaced by another, so the cycle continues. ?We are not talking about the rain forest or old growth in the Pacific Northwest,? says Champion Paper?s Martin Blick. ?Most of the trees cut for paper come from fifth or sixth generation pulp-wood forests.?
End quote

So I recycling paper is still a good thing with a net energy saving. But producing some pulp from scratch is a good think too as we need it to increase the fiber length of the recycled paper, and the growing trees take up lots of CO2. And when we buy paper, we can get the one that says "chlorine free and acid free" and "soy based ink".

Also, looking at the above US energy site I found that sometimes plastic is not energetically feasible to recycle, so we don't. For those of us who live in the US, we know that we can only put plastics #1 and #2 in the recycling bin... those are the ones that can easily be recycled. Plastics #4 can be recycled at the grocery store (grocery bags, bread bags, etc.). The other plastics we just throw to the trash because, for now, it is more energy intensive to recycle. What can we do about this? We can buy products that come in containers that we will reuse, or in containers that are recyclable. And we can certainly bring our own reusable bags to the store! Check this out! <http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/archives/2007/01/rb_07_jan_19.html>

Peace to you and yours,

Luisa the Green Fairy