Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

[Eco] Re: GM Food

  • Frommadlab.rabbit.krishaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateSat, 24 Feb 2007 12:32:03 +0900
This one time, at band camp, "Jonathan G." <jonathang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If there are problems with GM food, then that's a different issue.  It seems
> like people that are into organics are against GM foods as a concept, even
> though they make food better and more affordable.

My main problem with GM food is that you can't prevent
cross-contamination.  If one farmer goes GM, everyone farming the same
basic crop nearby will be forced to accept some level of GM genes
creeping into the crop.  If the GM crop is sterile, for whatever reason,
that can severely and irreparably affect production of people that had
nothing to do with it.  Even if it's not one of these "terminator"
seeds, it can nuke your organic certification.

And if you've been carefully selecting seeds from your own crops over
generations in order to produce a better (and more affordable) crop, one
mindless prat upwind who's been sold on, say, Monsanto's GM corn crop
that can survive drenching in Round Up(tm), can ruin decades, possibly
generations, of work in a single season.

I support a total GM food bad because you can't "opt out".  This
position is supported by every "GM products found where they shouldn't
be" story.

Yours, Chris J.