Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

[Eco] Stop Global Warming College Tour

  • FromRobin Vinopal <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 10 Apr 2007 09:53:43 -0400
I thought I'd share info on the College Tour for Earth Day. The last two stops will end up in my area: College Park, MD and Washington, DC.

- Robin

“Stop Global Warming College Tour”
http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/sgw_read.asp?id=1018153272007

Global warming activist Laurie David and Grammy Award winning singer-song writer Sheryl Crow will kick off the "Stop Global Warming College Tour" in Dallas, TX to urge college students to become part of the movement to stop global warming and demand solutions from themselves, their schools and their country. During the two-week tour, college students, university leaders, faculty and staff will be encouraged to join the Stop Global Warming Virtual March (www.stopglobalwarming.org or stopglobalwarming.msn.com) and have their voice counted as the bus rolls through their campus. Over 675,000 individual marchers from all 50 states have joined the virtual march to acknowledge that the U.S. is feeling the impact of global warming right now and to demand solutions to the problem.

The 90-minute presentations will include remarks by David, a short performance by Crow, clips from An Inconvenient Truth, humorous clips from top comedians, and a dialogue with students. "Sustainability is an integral part of Philips activities and we believe in adopting environmentally-friendly practices such as the Stop Global Warming College Tour," says Paul Simonetti, Director, Brand Communications, Philips. "By asking consumers to simply switch at least one traditional light bulb with a more energy-efficient one, together we can make a difference in the overall reduction of harmful greenhouse gas emissions and help make the world a more sustainable place to live."

The tour schedule:

Monday 4/9: Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, McFarlin Auditorium, 8pm
Tuesday 4/10: Texas A&M, College Station, Texas, Rudder Arena, 7:30pm
Wednesday 4/11: Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, LSU Union Theater, 7:30pm
Thursday 4/12: Loyola University, New Orleans, LA, Republic New Orleans, 8pm
Friday 4/13: University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, Bartow Arena, 7:30pm
Monday 4/16: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, Stephen O'Connell Center, 7:30pm
Tuesday 4/17: Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, Murphy Center, 7:30pm
Wednesday 4/18: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, Life Center Ballroom, 7:30pm
Thursday 4/19: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, Charlottesville Pavilion, 7:30pm
Saturday 4/21: University of Maryland, College Park, MD, Cole Field House, 1pm
Sunday 4/22: George Washington University, Washington, DC, The Smith Ce
nter, 4pm