Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] new member

  • FromLaurie Menke <laurie_menke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 29 May 2006 19:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
--- Carol Townsend <carol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - games provide a fun environment - (can we find
> research that shows
> learning by fun stays w/ someone longer than
> learning by rote??)
>
> what else can we add to this list folks??

There is quite a bit of research showing that
experiencing any kind of strong emotion--enjoyment,
anger, excitement, fear--increases learning capacity.
Again, I don't have time until later in the summer,
but I'd be willing to look that up for you down the
road.

How about Bloom's taxonomy?  The levels are:

Knowledge (recall of details & major ideas, lists,
definitions, etc.)
Comprehension (understand, compare, predict,
interpret, etc.)
Application (use in new situations, solve problems,
etc.)
Analysis (see patterns, organize, classify, explain,
etc.)
Synthesis (generalize, draw conclusions, integrate,
create, etc.)
Evaluation (assess value, make choices, judge, rank,
etc.)

Whereas most lecture and textbook learning are
Knowledge and Comprehension based, games tend to be
higher on the taxonomy.  Again, later in the summer I
would be willing to apply this to specific LL games if
you'd like.

There's also the buy-in factor.  Many
students--especially low achievers and those with
attention challenges--are not very invested in their
education and only give a half-hearted effort to their
schoolwork, which perpetuates their problems.  Games
have a high buy-in factor--almost any kid is willing
to do schoolwork if it feels more like fun than
learning.  ;o)

There's also the added bonus that it helps to build
good social skills and gives plenty of opportunity to
practice those skills in real-life (not contrived)
situations.

And how about the fact that most games--especially
educational ones--tend to hit the material being
learned more frequently than other forms of learning.
For example, I have two students who are learning
their multiplication facts right now.  It can take
them a full 30 minutes to do a page of about 20
problems on paper.  It takes even longer to do them
using manipulatives.  Flash cards are fast, but not
much fun, so they don't tend to pay much attention.
On the other hand, when they play multiplication
baseball, they each do about 50 problems in that same
30 minutes, and they're very careful to check each
other's work, meaning they're actually doing about 100
problems--and LOVING it and begging not to stop!  So
for any type of rote learning, games will produce more
practice in less time.

Well, I think I'm out of ideas for now....hope this
helps!

Laurie