Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

[Edu] new member

  • FromSteven Greenstein <blue42@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 28 May 2006 21:27:59 -0500
Hi,

I just joined this discussion list, because I'm interested in the educative value of math games. I'm interesting in games that teach concepts rather than reinforce them. I can see how it's useful to correlate games to standards, but that doesn't make the case for the advantages that games provide, if any, over other instructional tools, methods, etc. I suspect that if a game developer could make these cases, they'd sell more games, too.

Also, I imagine that game developers learn quite a bit about the concepts their games involve and how those concepts may be used to develop an interesting game. Perhaps students could benefit from designing games or modifying existing games whose rules are flexible.

-Steven

--
Life is too short for long division.