Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu]State vs National standards

  • From"Carol Townsend" <carol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 May 2006 08:11:18 -0500
In some ways, it's just a huge task to FIND the standards for each
state.  I've found (www.edstandards.org ) and it seems to be a pretty
good, up-to-date site... or at least as up-to-date as the associated
links are.  But yes... this would be  huge task.

Let me ask: how many states use things like the Iowa Test of Basic
Skills?  Having grown up in Iowa, I know what they're like,  having
graduated from HS in New York, I know they're given all the way out
there and having taught in MN and IL, I know they're here too.  So,
are they pretty ubiquitous?  Do many states use them?  Are there other
tests that are more widely used?

Benchmarks for the ITBS are here:
http://www.state.ia.us/educate/ecese/nclb/doc/ccsb.html .  Would it be
good to use these instead of national standards since many schools use
tests - and therefore if our games help reach test benchmarks they're
going to help in classes?

Am I just beating around the same bush?

Carol