Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu]State vs National standards

  • FromLaurie Menke <laurie_menke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 May 2006 13:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
I totally agree with the idea that the NAEP standards and assessment are less biased.  But they're not, to my knowledge, linked to school funding in any way.  Although researchers and politicians are very interested in the NAEP results, district-level administrators are only interested in (let's face it) how to get the money.  So again, I would say it can't hurt to link to these standards as well, but I still think state standards are what will sell the product.

Sorry to sound like a broken record...

Laurie

Steven Greenstein <blue42@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I'd correlate to the NAEP (National Association of Educational Progress) standards, which you can find here:

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/frameworks.asp

Those are the ones that educators typically rely on for the truest picture of progress, or lack of progress. When Texas, for example, claims that scores are rising, researchers compare students' results on Texas' test to their performance on NAEP for a clearer picture. It's also a great check for the impact of NCLB, because state standards and testing are likely to be biased to show improvement and NAEP isn't.

-Steven