Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Degree

  • From"Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 27 Apr 2007 16:00:11 -0500
Ryan - I am going to somehow find a way to put this up on the Academy's Treehouse page!!

this SO rocks....

and congrats on the MAT!!!

Carol
--
iChat/AIM, MSN and Yahoo: MadLabRabbits
direct line: 630.448.4946

On 4/27/07, miyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well today I presented and defended my work for my grad degree and successfully passed everything to finish up my MAT.  Go me. :)

What was interesting though is I got into a semi-heated discussion of the role of technology in the classroom and I was arguing that it is being misused and there are far cheaper and easier alternatives to teach the children.  A professor was explaining to me how easily a PowerPoint demonstration could be used to visually illustrate teaching above, below, behind, in front of, to the side of, etc. in Spanish.  Unbeknownst to him this was the exact thing I had been working on recently.

I reached into my school bag and pulled out a Treehouse stash.  I then demoed Tic-Tac-Doh! and showed how it could be used to teach all those concepts as well as colors and had the added benefit of the children actually participating instead of passively watching a screen.  Then my final clincher was to tell the panel my method costs 9$ retail plus shipping.... and asked what their computer, software and projector cost.

:lol:

You could have heard a pin drop.

Everything though went very well, I passed with flying colors, and the only comment was that I wasn't dressed as professionally as the others (they were in suits and ties... I didn't even wear a tie when I got married let alone for a class).

                            -Ryan

--
Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege, labora et invenies.