Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Degree

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 27 Apr 2007 20:50:23 -0400
Congratulations, Ryan! I agree with your assessment about technology. We do a lot with it in my classroom, but its never passive. The students are always responding orally or actually doing the computer activity themselves. I don't use technology just for the sake of using technology. I often laugh when I hear of or read about some teachers who have been recognized for their use of technology and realize that it wasn't all that special... they just happened to be the ones that were noticed.

Magi

miyu wrote:
Well today I presented and defended my work for my grad degree and successfully passed everything to finish up my MAT. Go me. :)

What was interesting though is I got into a semi-heated discussion of the role of technology in the classroom and I was arguing that it is being misused and there are far cheaper and easier alternatives to teach the children. A professor was explaining to me how easily a PowerPoint demonstration could be used to visually illustrate teaching above, below, behind, in front of, to the side of, etc. in Spanish. Unbeknownst to him this was the exact thing I had been working on recently.

I reached into my school bag and pulled out a Treehouse stash. I then demoed Tic-Tac-Doh! and showed how it could be used to teach all those concepts as well as colors and had the added benefit of the children actually participating instead of passively watching a screen. Then my final clincher was to tell the panel my method costs 9$ retail plus shipping.... and asked what their computer, software and projector cost.
:lol:

You could have heard a pin drop. Everything though went very well, I passed with flying colors, and the only comment was that I wasn't dressed as professionally as the others (they were in suits and ties... I didn't even wear a tie when I got married let alone for a class).
                            -Ryan

--
Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege, labora et invenies.