Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Old Rabbit, New to Games in Education

  • FromMagi Shepley <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 04 Nov 2007 12:32:55 -0500
I use lots of games in my classroom as well... quite a few that Kelly mentions, including having my students create their own version of Fluxx last year. This year, I'm doing state test tutoring/prep, and I've floated the idea with using the Nanofictionary game to help students who are taking the writing test learn how to write more quickly. The writing test is for 11th graders though, and right now, our priority is working with the 9th and 10th graders who are at risk for not getting even the modified diploma (you have to pass the 8th grade tests for that, and all high school classes; other diplomas require high school end of course tests).

Magi

Kellyann Brown wrote:

Hi, I'm a speech therapist rabbit and have used fluxx, ecofluxx, family fluxx and the marvelous Nano-fictionary in my therapy sessions for years. YEARS!!! I have used them mostly in the upper elementary and middle school level. I love the way Nano-fictionary helps students get all the parts of a story in visual representation before they start to tell it.

I use a whole bunch of non-looney lab games. I especially like games where I can change the "meat" of what the kids are doing for my own nefarious purposes. Two examples of this is BLURT, where I retain the game format, but replace the words with my own, and Outburst, where I first get my clients to help put categories together and then later we use other groups' cards. This allows me to specialize cards to our area and our school or the curriculum. Any category that has ten members can be used. Kiddos love to think that they are using the real playing cards, so I often scan them and then use my computer to make ones that look like the "real" ones. Sometimes I have kiddos tell me that they bought a certain game, but it wasn't as much fun as the one we use!

Special rules I use are if one person is getting left behind, I make the next question "just for them" or "just for X and Y". Sometimes kiddos balk at this (the ones that are ahead), but usually they like the fact that everyone gets caught up to a certain point and then we move on... and that it can be "Anybody's game" at the end. Makes it more exciting.
Yes, this is from a person who plays games with kiddos for a living,

Kelly Brown
Kellyannbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx

    Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:47:32 -0700
    From: divreon@xxxxxxxxx
    To: edu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [Edu] Old Rabbit, New to Games in Education

    Hello Everyone,

    The Rabbits on this list generally know me, My Name is Steve, and
    I'm a rabbit in Buffalo NY.

    Recently a new game shop in the area who is stocking Looney Labs
    games has asked me about Games for use in Special education
    environments.

    I know there are dedicated teachers and the like on here, and I
    was wondering what Looney Labs games work best for these environments?

    Outside of Looney Labs are there any games that are good for
    special education purposes?

    Are there special rules changes to make them easier or more effective?

    I know I'm not being very specific, but I'm not really versed in
    games for education  outside of chrononauts for History, and
    Nanofictionary for writing/creativity.

    Any information to pass on would be great! Thanks.

    -Steve Hoffman
    Buffalo NY Rabbit