Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

RE: [Fluxx] (Family Fluxx) Bring back [MacArthur] Park Goal

  • From"rabbitsaurus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rabbitsaurus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 5 Oct 2005 20:17:49 -0400
Ryan --

   I'd totally be with you[*] if it were spelled correctly.   ;->  No
apostrophe-S,
I'm pretty certain.

   It's like those little visual puns in the Bugs Bunny cartoons or
whatnot, that
are there to amuse the grownups that might be watching with their kids.
(And the
grownups who are constructing the cartoons in the first place.)

EZ

P.S.:  * -- And it would be better-Google-able...

Original Message:
-----------------
From:  kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:12:28 +0000
To: fluxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Fluxx] (Family Fluxx) Bring back MacArthur's Park Goal

I was saddened when the decision was made to remove the "Someone left the
cake out in the rain" goal from (then) Fluxx Jr.  It made sense because the
game was ostensibly "for kids."  However making it FAMILY Fluxx implies to
me that it's a game to be played by mixed age groups, and cards like the
Parent and Grandparent Bonuses reinforce that.  If that's the case, then
perhaps some cards SHOULD be included that aren't specifically juvenile.  I
think making a "MacArthur's Park" goal that relies on the Cake and Rain
keepers would A) be a great "inside" joke for the people old enough to
understand it, and 2) possibly stimulate some conversation when the kids
ask what the parents are laughing about.

Is calling it "MacArthur's Park" better (or at least no worse than) than
calling it by the longer "Someone..."?  I think so.  Firstly, if someone is
would be confused by "MacArthur's Park", the longer title won't help them
realize that it's a song allusion.  Secondly, it's easier to google.
Thirdly, it would be easier to fit on a card.  Fourthly, two-step jokes are
one step better than one-step jokes.  And lastly, the players dont' really
need to get the allusion to play the game; this goal requires those two
keepers and that's it.

C'mon, who's with me?

(...or am I missing the reason it removed the first time?)