Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Shockwave Flash, XML, and the newest incarnation of Fluxx!

  • From"S Mattison" <s.mattison@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 12 May 2006 13:20:12 -0700
Yes, indeedy, you heard right. I'm designing Fluxx in Flash. SWFluxx?
Sure thing! However I prefer calling it "Fluxx: FPR", or in other
words; "Fluxx: First Play Random". What this means for you, the
viewer, is that you don't have to download anything to play online;
You can do it right in your browser! And secondly, you won't be FORCED
to play online either! You can download the SWF file and play with
your friends, or even against the computer! ;)

The rules, tables, card text, and rules for each card will be
specified with a custom designed XML-type language, called FluxXml.
The cards will all be designed and assembled based on these texts,
entirely in Flash. The game will use a clever and ingenuitive
game-balancing system in order to ensure the proper goals for the
proper keepers, as well as an even number of rules and actions in
order to keep it fun. And because the decks are designed in an
XML-oriented language, I don't have to go plowing through Flash code
when I want to implement new keepers, goals, or even similar rules and
actions. You can custom design your own offline-decks with a language
that looks like HTML, and even submit them to me for consideration in
adding to the online games!

If I do find a rule or action I like, or design a new idea for the AI,
I would have to hand-code it in. That's the only downfall. So, if
anybody wants to help out, either in research, ideas, or in any other
faculty, feel free to email me about it.

I have uploaded a few preliminary card designs here...
http://www.freewebs.com/zombieflesheater/fluxx.html

Tell me what you all think!
-Steve