Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Japanese Fluxx

  • From"James Hazelton" <jameshazelton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 29 Mar 2007 22:29:09 -0500
I just recently got back from my 10-day trip to Japan. In addition to drinking just a little too much sake and taking the wrong train home, I also played some quality games of Fluxx with the natives. Although I had Fluxx available in Japanese as well, my opponents insisted on playing the English version. (Those Japanese sure do love their English.) I still brought out the Japanese edition occasionally to help explain some of the cards I was unable to. I also learned some Japanese gaming terms, such as "You have two more cards left to play." But I digress; I was told that some of the Japanese text on the cards are a little off, maybe a bit funny. I'm reminded of what we call "Engrish" (see engrish.com), and I wonder if it is similar. From what I understand, most cards are just fine, but a couple have some unique translations. I was unable to find out which cards these are.

Anyone else have a similar experience?