Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Re: my blanxx I've made

  • FromStephanie Cottrell Bryant <steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 17 Apr 2007 20:14:38 -0700
On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:36 PM, fluxxguy wrote:
On the same subject, Frank writes:
Also sounds to me like a Rule rather than a Goal. As a Goal, it needs an extra piece of game mechanics. Does it modify only the Goal in play when _it_ is played (and is discarded with that Goal as soon as another Goal is played)? That would make it less powerful (because temporary). I think the "Everything's better with beer" card in that case might not be too powerful, but it might make the Beer keeper too powerful ... Scott adds: Yes, it modifies only the Goal in play and disappears into obscurity with the next goal played.

Oh, that makes a difference! Yes, that makes it less of a power-hog.

Scott adds: Yes, beer is now as powerful as Cookies. Why? I like beer. I wanted it to a stand-out, prized Keeper, if not so prized as chocolate. Being from Portland, I naturally drink a lot of good microbrews and even brew my own now and again.

With the clarification you mentioned, Beer isn't over-powerful as I thought it would be. Powerful, yes, but not unbalancing.

My favorite rule addition is "Vow of Silence." You have to be silent, even if the cards call for you to speak. If you speak, you discard a card. If I were to revise the rule now, it would be that the discard is randomly chosen; otherwise, it makes a very handy way to ditch some unwanted cards.

We play a lot in public, so it's fun to have to mime or sacrifice a card if you want to ask the waitress for a second beer.

--Stephanie