Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Fluxx for American Girls

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 05 Apr 2008 07:49:37 -0700
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:30:49 -0400, "Bryan Stout" wrote:
> I completely share the contempt for the litigious attitude.  In a way, it's
> too bad that the laws require people to go after the little guys if you
> don't want it thrown out of court when you go after the big guys -- though I
> understand the reason for it.

For what it's worth, I think you're referring to an aspect of the law
that's unique to trademark law, not copyright. That is, to my
(obviously, extremely limited---no legal training etc.),
understanding, the "enforce it or lose protection" stuff is unique to
trademarks. And that does have bad effects at times, but I also
understand the concept behind it.

Copyright on the other hand, gives the copyright owner a tremendous
amount of latitude in treating people differently. That is, as a
copyright owner I can give different people differing permissions for
how to use my work, and that in and of itself isn't a problem.

-Carl