Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] 1,2,5! + Inflation

  • From"Rev. Bob" <redbaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 5 Nov 2008 19:12:18 -0500
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:16 PM,  <AniLocatN@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can someone give an exact wording on Inflation? I'm running on memory of the
> X=X+1 card that said all numerals on all other cards are increased by one.
> Unless there's something really tricky with the wording of Inflation, these
> cards in no way contradict eachother since 1, 2, 5! uses numerals which
> would be increased by Inflation.

Except that, well, Andy Said So.  Both cards fit into the whole
"change the numbers printed on the cards" concept, and thus the
designer of the game has determined that when one comes into play, the
other should leave play, rather than try to reconcile them in ways
that will cause contention and make brains hurt.

> It should be noted that the people I play with are heavy TCG players of such
> things as MTG. And several of us are the type to build those really
> exploitive combo decks, so rules and the exact ways things interact are very
> important to us.

Yeah, that's really going to handicap you when playing Fluxx, which is
designed to be a really quick, intuitive, free-flowing game in the way
that MTG completely is not.  "You must unlearn...."

When in doubt, feel free to apply Bob's Three Rules of Card Games:

1. Read the card.
2. If it doesn't make sense, read the card again.  All of it, carefully.
3. If that still doesn't help, ask the question.

Those work pretty well for just about any card game I play - and I'd
estimate that about 90% of the time, I still wind up answering the
question with a reference to either the card's text or part of the
standard rules...and that's true even with the more intricate games.

--
Robert Hood - Hixson, TN
SJG MIB #8595 - Looney Labs Rabbit - Atlas Games Mook