Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Fluxx Digest, Vol 40, Issue 14

  • From"Nimrod Jones" <nimrod.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 26 Dec 2008 16:18:40 +0000
2008/12/26 <fluxx-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 01:59:29 +0000 (GMT)
From: Andrew Barton <andrew.157barton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Fluxx] MP horrid combos

Two awkward combinations of cards from the MP deck came up in our post-Xmas dinner game.

(1)  'Outrageous Accent' and 'I want to Sing!' - you can either rule that singing is not the same as speaking, or cope with players singing with outrageous accents.  Either makes my brain hurt.

Yeah, I've been hit by that a few times. I think it's a case of how you handle it. I've sung in an outrageous accent before, but I'm not so strict on people singing without an accent so long as they are otherwise speaking in an outrageous accent in order to claim both bonuses. My logic being that when you hear a lot of musicians singing, they rarely sound as they do when they speak. Of course, this doesn't stop a player opting to drop one or the other if both are on the table. Or, you can house rule that if you're not recognisably singing in an outrageous accent you lose that bonus (especially in the case of trying to claim the carry-over bonus). In a way, this is one of those situations where you should agree when both come out what is acceptable as soon as they hit the table so that everyone is on the same page.

(2)  'One, Two, Five!' breaks the wording of 'Draw 3, play 2 of them'.  You draw 5 cards, play 2 of them, discard the last card ... and what happens to the other two?

In agreement with the other post. I read this as Draw 5, Play 2, Discard the rest. Here, it's important to play the spirit of the card and not worry about the strict wording.

Just my thoughts, your games may vary,

Nimrod...