[Icehouse] The die is cast

  • From"Tom Phoenix" <rb+wunderland@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 20 Feb 2006 11:29:25 -0800
If the Looney universe were like a game of Chrononauts, today would be
a Linchpin.

On 2/19/06, Kristin Looney <kristin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We plan to institute a die recycling program at the web site, where fans
> can turn in extra copies of the die on trade-in or something.  No details
> yet, but we will do something for those with extra custom Treehouse dice
> they don't want. How about if we make them each worth 1 Rabbit point if you
> send them back?

...and that suddenly, dice became currency.

I'm not saying that you were *trying* to make Treehouse dice the de
facto currency of the Rabbit underground, Kristin. I'm merely saying,
you just did.

Henceforth, Rabbits (and maybe even some non-Rabbits) won't see a
superfluous die in each additional Treehouse set, but instead a
cubical carrot coin.

People will buy, sell, and trade these dice. If J. Random Rabbit has
(or wants) several dice, she'll find it's worth the effort to seek
someone to trade with; besides, her trading partner will probably want
to play the same games she likes, too, so why don't we meet at the
coffeeshop and bring your pyramids too, okay? I'll bet you three dice
I can beat you at Binary Homeworlds.

This looks like a Good Thing, don't get me wrong. It will have
unforeseen ramifications, like all good timelines, sure; but mostly
good. Still, I can't help thinking:

The die is cast.

--Tom Phoenix