Re: [SDG-discuss] [Icehouse] Possible Zendo game at SDG

  • From"Subhan Tindall" <subhan.michael@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 10 Mar 2006 16:23:16 -0800
Not having used POVRay, I have no idea how difficult it is to generate
Koans either by hand or by macro-type programming.
But, given the above caveat, here's a couple of thoughts relevant to
online Zendo.
Given a feature set, a fairly simple grammer can be used to generate a
large # of koans
EG features like:
# of pips
color(s) of pieces
orientation of pieces(up/down/left/right/weird)
# of pieces pointing at other pieces
etc.
I think I actually have a  grammar for koan generation somewhere I
sponged off the individual who wrote Zendomizer (PalmOS program for
generating Koans http://www.geocities.com/~karlvonl/Zendomizer.html
Some work would be involved in the initial setup, but a large # of
koans could be generated and catagorized acording to the sets of
features that they match(basically Koans are physical implementations
of abstract logic statements about sets of features and can be treated
as points in N-space which allows for fairly straightforward pattern
matching)
Once you have a large database of Koans, and a grammar it seems like
it would be fairly straightforward to generate a base Koan (AKHTBNI
blah blah blah), then select an image from the set of images that
match the koan, and an image that does not match the koan.
Players are constrained to building koans/making gueses based on the
implemented feature sets(not necessarily as restrictive as it sounds
in practice).  They can make the picture any way the like (or no
picture at all :-), and submit a description of it based on the
feature set.  This is then compared against the master Koan.
When needed, a new Koan can be selected from a more restricted set of
images based on both the included features & features that need to be
excluded.
I'm not the guy to do it anymore (haven't programmed anything in years
:-(, but it seems to me that it would even be possible automagically
generate images of koans from a feature description in some fashion IE
AKHTBNI (red=1 or green = 1) AND blue=2 AND (total pips = odd) is used
to generate an appropriate set of images from a set of base images or
macros of some sort(this is the part where POVray knowledge would be
helpful!)
Of course this is a little more restrictive than f2f Zendo, but I
think would still capture a lot of the spirit of the game.

Have fun, all!
Subhan