Re: [Icehouse] Four-house Zendo

  • FromJoseph Pate <jpate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 15 Jun 2006 14:03:39 -0700 (PDT)
My $.02, nothing is verboten (German for 'forbidden') if all your players
agree... I would think that something as complex as "Contains at least one
vertical piece in your favorite color" is OK if everyone is OK with
player-specific metarules, and the favorite colors of all players are
well-known.

Of course, that tends to lead to a longer game, since each koan would now
have to be considered in the context of the guesser, and not simply on
its own.  Zendo geeks only.

Keep in mind that I haven't even played Zendo yet (only its mass-produced,
weaker distant cousin Mastermind), so maybe there are no serious Zendo
groups out there that would inflict that kind of pain -- fails the WWBD
test.

Cheers,
	 Ankhst

> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:48:31 -0500
> From: "Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: "Icehouse Discussion List" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Icehouse] Four-house Zendo
>
> One question:  would "is found in the Rainbow Treehouse set" be an OK
> rule when having mixed sets?  If you cut back on absolute color rules,
> you can have mixed sets very easily (like 2 Rainbows and 2 Xenos).  Or
> is playing Zendo with colors other than the original RBGY vorbotten?
>
> thoughts?
>
> Carol
>

> On 6/15/06, kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx <kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just in case anyone's getting together with their gaming groups this
weekend, let me give you a little something to try.

> > Now that Treehouse is the flagship product in the Icehouse line, I'd love to
see how Zendo with four Treehouse sets "works".  I would guess that, given the
current mix of rules, existing koans will have to be cannabalized more often
because there is only four large blues instead of five.  Of course, you could
just use absolute color rules less often or rate such rules as being relatively
more difficult.  Either way, I'd love to hear any playtest results.

> > Yes, I know that five Treehouse (of the same color scheme) would give you a
superset of the Zendo set, but that would crank the price up one more MSRP.
(What is it?  $9?)  How is Zendo for less than $40 plus stones?