Re: [Icehouse] Single Stash Games

  • FromJesse Welton <jwelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 11 Sep 2006 14:28:36 -0400
On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 12:43:58AM -0400, Don Sheldon wrote:

> TREE HUNTERS
>
> Unit - a unit is two or more pieces which are touching AND share a
> footprint (i.e., when viewed from directly overhead they appear to
> overlap).

> Offensive rating - the offensive rating of a unit is equal to the sum
> of the pips of the offensive pieces plus the number of additional
> pieces in the unit after the first.

[similar definition for defensive rating]

With one piece of each size, the possible distinct arrangements are
pretty easy to emumerate.  With 3 separate units, you can have O/D
ratings of 6/0, 5/1, 4/2, 3/3, 2/4, 1/5, or 0/6.  With two units, your
two-piece unit earns you an extra point in both O&D, and you may
sacrifice 1 to 5 points in either to have poised pieces.  With a
single unit, you gain 2 extra points in both O&D, and may sacrifice up
to 6 to have poised pieces.  Using no poised pieces, you get the most
powerful units with ratings of 8/2, 7/3, 6/4, 5/5, 4/6, 3/7, and 2/8.
The 5/5 superunit is of particular interest to me, because it is not
possible to have an attack rating above 5 without having a defensive
rating below 5.  So, it seems to me the game will naturally degenerate
to a stalemate of 5/5 units.  (One way to achieve this is an attacking
large with a defending small inside, slightly overhanging the bottom
edge of a defending medium.)

-Jesse