Re: [Icehouse] Single Stash Games

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 13 Sep 2006 22:56:51 -0400
On 9/13/06, Jesse Welton <jwelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 06:19:52AM -0400, Adam Kopczenski wrote:
> Apologies for the attachment. (I tried to keep it tiny.)
>
> Is this what you're describing? (Notice the very slight overlap between the
> small and medium pieces.)

Yes, or see Chris's picture.

Ah, I see.  Clever.

> This feels like an unintended consequence of the definition of a unit. Maybe
> change the definition to "a group of connected pieces, at most one of which
> is both grounded and non-poised"? It's less ambiguous, and I don't think the
> 5/5 supergroup would be possible that way. However, nests would now be
> basically unacceptable (trees are still cool).

I don't know if it's intended, or not.  It seems like a perfectly
reasonable unit to me, though.  I don't think that eliminating this
unit would help the situation, either.  The attack 8/2 unit will also
stalemate.  If I build one, my prey can never score.  The only thing
my prey can do is prevent his prey from scoring, which is achievable
with an 8/2, and so on, around the circle.  Or, what if I just keep my
original 2/8?  My predator has no incentive to make himself
vulnerable, because he cannot ever score against me.  So it really
seems as though no one should ever score unless someone else lets
them.

I think it's quite reasonable and well within the spirit of unity.
However, having taken everything yinz have said (thanks for that by
the way) in to account and having slept on it a few nights, I now have
version 1.1.

http://dsheldon.digitalfreaks.org/treehunters1.1.html

Now it's simultaneous turns so instead of an obvious game of everyone
being defensive, you have to guess what your neighbors might do based
on their neighbors who act based on their neighbors and so on.

In the play testing of my brain vs the rest of my brain it's now a lot
more fun and dynamic, and also much faster.

--
 I'm sad though because my awesome (for me) mechanic for who goes