Re: [Icehouse] Volcano terminology

  • From"Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 30 Oct 2006 11:54:49 -0500
From a volcanic glossary, here's a few thoughts:

Monogenetic:
A volcano built by a single eruption.
Pali: Hawaiian word for steep hills or cliffs.
Bomb: Fragment of molten or semi-molten rock, 2 1/2 inches to many feet in diameter, which is blown out during an eruption. Because of their plastic condition, bombs are often modified in shape during their flight or upon impact.

Then again, I always have like the term "aa" and "pahoehoe" which describe two different styles of lava flows in the Hawaiian language, but I couldn't figure out how to work them around into a suitable use for this context.

:)
Carol