Re: [Icehouse] Alternate Volcano Setups

  • FromTheLoneGoldfish <thelonegoldfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 30 Nov 2006 17:20:32 -0600
Well, this plan is a no-clusering result... also, it keeps an even number of outside pieces (except red, if red is the color in the center) for the four non-center colors (each getting 2 side pices and one corner piece).

...and there's such pretty pin-wheel patterns if you concentrate on one color...

Anyways, this (like the random setup) I think will prevent people from avoiding certian colors out of consideration for weak starting position, and instead have them choose colors depending on their popularity amoung other players and things like that. I'll need to playtest it obviously, but I figured I'd share it while it was still fresh in my brain.

(and does anyone else think it's just really terrible to go first?)
-Evan

On 11/30/06, Dale Newfield < Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
TheLoneGoldfish wrote:
> Didn't really think of that... but I suppose you could still have the
> caps on the red pieces...

I find that the best setup is a randomish* distribution with the caps
all on the same color nests.

*randomish means drop 'em all in, then swap as necessary so there isn't
too much clustering.

Basically any static setup will lead to "opening book" problems.

-Dale