Re: [Icehouse] Single-Stash Zendo (HOT!)

  • FromKristin Looney <kristin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 19 Dec 2006 16:30:57 -0500
minimal real-time Zendo...   fascinating!

I look forward to trying this and hearing what others think...

-Kristin

--On December 19, 2006  David Artman <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Again, last night, I am running my weekly Monday Games Night in Durham,
NC, and after I left the main venue to go to my favorite pub, I had an
inspiration. I busted out a Treehouse stash and this is what happened....
----------
Title:
Single-Stash Zendo

This variant is best played with a limited number of people who all
present at the game start. This is because it is a one-stash variant and,
as such, you will not have enough pieces to build koans to seek the rule
or disprove a guess.

Starting:
Begin as normal, with the Master thinking up a rule and making two koans,
one marked as having and one marked as not having the Budda Nature.
Determine who goes first any way that's legal in your area--or don't, and
let folks shout out as they see fit (but be sure to restrain someone who
is machine-gunning rule guesses).

Playing:
Students do not build koans and do not ask Mondo or Master and do not
aquire guessing stones. Instead, on a Student's turn (or whenever a
Student shouts out a rule), the Student makes a guess at the rule or
passes. If the Student guesses and is incorrect, the Master must adjust
one of the two koans to disprove the guess. The Master may add or remove
pyramids to make this disproof. Then, it is immediately the next
Student's turn--don't let folks double-up and dominate the win!

Winning:
If the Student's guess matches the Master's rule, that Student has won:
shake his or her hand as everyone laughs (or groans). That Student is the
next Master (or go in sequence or let the loudest whiner be next).
The folks with whom I sat at the bar playing RAVED about it; and it
wasn't long before we were running "freeform," where they were making
guesses so quickly that I was almost constantly adjusting one or the
other koan.

Thoughts?
David Artman