Re: [Icehouse] new questions asked by Brian

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 22 Jan 2007 15:43:19 -0600
Brian Campbell writes:
>Thanks Jake and Josh for the advice!

You're welcome!

>On Jan 22, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Joshua Kronengold wrote:
>> 2. Use the prisoner to tail-block attackers -- either by attacking one
>>    of your one-point pieces (ie a sacrifice), or by attacking an
>>    opponent.  While this does involve losing a point, the sacrifice is
>>    particularly notable, since by its nature, it lays out a trap that
>>    unaware opponents can fall into -- as continued attempts to
>>    attack that area will often hand you free prisoners.

>I'm having a hard time picturing this trap. Is it that an opponent
>will attack your original defender (the one you tail-blocked the
>attack on), then you can over-ice the small (with another prisoner),
>take back the first prisoner, and now your original defender will be
>over iced so you can capture one of the pieces attacking it, and
>finally return the original prisoner to attacking your small,
>squandering the original attacker again, and finally take back the
>prisoner you used to over-ice your small?

Very good.  Yes.

>This seems like a rather complicated trap, so it would be vulnerable
>to interference, that also requires you to have another prisoner, but
>would be really cool to pull off if you could do it.

And it's less complicated in action than it appears -- at no point in
the action are you without a prisoner, nor (until you've retrieved the
orignal blocker), are you backing pieces off and therefore vulnerable
to a timely interception. -- at which point the interceptor is
rescuing your defender as well as (trying to) steal a prisoner or two.

The moves (once someone makes the mistake of icing your orginal
defender) are:
1. over-ice
2. retrieve prisoner
3  restructure attack, taking any spare pieces as prisoners, and
   leaving as many as possible available for tail blocks (opponents
   may interupt here)
4. Replace the prisoner.  Interuptions now much harder or potentially
   impossible.
5. Retrieve your overicer.

>This is why I'd like to see Icehouse strategy discussed via the
>GooTubes.

Not a bad idea, really, though I, certainly, have never done the
Youtube thing except as an occasional reader.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'