[Icehouse] new questions asked by Brian

  • FromAndy Looney <thelab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 22 Jan 2007 14:35:07 -0500
1) In Icehouse, what is a Cool and effective way to use a prisoner  you
get from a prisoner exchange? I've only played Icehouse a few  times, and
in one of the games negotiated a prisoner exchange.  Without really
thinking, I restructured the an attack on me such that  the prisoner I
had gotten from my ally was squandered, which was  pointed out to me to
be Uncool. So, what's an appropriately Cool way  to use a prisoner from
an exchange?

That can be tricky. Most of the time, prisoners end up getting squandered. Any old Icehouse vets want to help out with this one?

2) Could you demonstrate a cool pieceniking project that would be  easy
to do at home? I haven't had much luck with filling pyramids  with sand
(the glue at the bottom frequently doesn't seal, so the  sand leaks out),
and Eeyore's woodworking projects are beyond my  available equipment or
woodworking skills (why aren't there public  wood shops where you can pay
a small fee and use them, or pay some  more to get some hands-on
instruction?).

Sorry, I'm not much of a pieceniker, since I'm happiest with standard factory-made pieces we dreamed of getting made for so very long. But again, maybe others on this list could run with this idea.

3) Homeworlds strategy advice! Maybe a basic primer on Homeworlds
strategy, or maybe a collection of clever moves...

Now I'm way ahead of you. I've just finished a 3 minute film about a way to lose at Homeworlds which I like to call the Bluebird Mistake. I plan to post it at the end of the day! And of course, I've got others planned...

(like, putting a  green
piece alone in a large system, and then sacrificing it later  when the
pieces are depleted so you can get the large system piece).

Yes yes, a crucial strategy. I call that making an Investment. (Another thing I really need to do someday is to find the time to finish up 3HOUSE, which will have lots of these strategies explained in detail. But right now I'm doing that on the Tube...)

-- Andy