Re: [Icehouse] An Afternoon Pieceniking Project

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 24 Aug 2007 11:56:18 -0400
Dale Newfield wrote:
So are the bottoms of those just a hollow square?

Yes. I just took a clear modern plastic stash and cut out the bulk
of each piece with my band saw.

Do they feel delicate to you as a result?

Not especially delicate, no. The polystyrene used by KLON isn't very
brittle to begin with. Squeezing the base doesn't yield much bend.
Pushing on the tip with the piece upright yields a little deflection
since nothing it propping up the remaining side, but reasonable
stress testing didn't create any cracks or anything.

(Did the "skeleton crew" set likewise seem fragile?)

Skeleton crew maybe seems fragile, but more because of its wireframe
structure and light weight than any mechanical reason. I haven't done
any stress testing on Ryan's pieces, but I'm guessing they're pretty
sound since all the vertices are still there.

Do they stack as well as the original, metal design?

Because of the open bottom and sides, they can stack in both upright
and flat orientations. I left enough of a lip on the remaining side
that you can still stack them vertically if you're careful.

http://www.ee0r.com/proj/images/minimice2b.jpg

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx