Re: [Icehouse] Most portable Homeworlds set ever

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 18 Sep 2007 11:24:26 -0400
On 9/18/07, kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx <kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is no denying that the pieces for Binary Homeworlds (and four player Martian Chess and a bunch of other games) map onto Mü cards.  BUT each piece is still something like 2.5" x 3.5".  Easy to transport but a little space intensive to use.

I'm not sure if that's true.  You can overlap a lot of the cards.  As
anyone who's ever played a CCG knows, you rarely need to see the
entire card at once.  I'm going to do some experiments at home
specifically concerning play space and post some pictures.  (In
theory, when I get some time, which might be as early as Friday.)

I think it would be possible to play with an 8.5x11 sheet of card
stock, printed and cut appropriately.  Each card would be 1.416x1.833.
 (The making of this pdf is another one of those long term projects
that I will only dream of having the time for.)  Upright (system) on
one side, and flat (ship) on the other, just like zarf's stuff.

Or you could print them larger, 9 per page instead of 36, and probably
fit explanitory text on the cards to help new players learn.  A small
green ship might have the text "use your turn to put into play in this
system the smallest ship available from the stash matching the color
of this ship or another ship that you control in this system OR
sacrifice this ship and build as above but at any system where you
have a ship."  Yeah, that might need some rewording, but you get the
idea.

--
  I've spent way too much time thinking about precisely this topic