RE: [Icehouse] IGDC Summer 2007 Rankings

  • DateWed, 26 Sep 2007 13:53:22 -0700
> From: Doug Orleans <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Thanks.  To be honest I'm still in a bit of shock-- after the votes
> were posted I was pretty sure I hadn't won.  Zamboni Wars and Geomancy

Hehe... I was pretty sure I'd paced higher than fifth or sixth or
whatever (forgettable) final rank I attained.

> Thanks, David, for running the competition, and especially thanks for
> posting all the ballots, so we can see exactly how close it was.  I'm
> looking forward to playing around with the numbers for some "what if"
> scenarios, like what if Ryan's class hadn't voted, or what if Andy
> had left his two unplayed games off the ballot instead of ranking them
> last...

Not a problem, it was fun to organize and resolve the rules. Wiki work
is, for me, like a light version of my daily job, so that was trivial.
Glad to be of service.

I, too, would like to see your results from your various What Ifs. I was
particularly concerned with the number of "rankings' of one or two
games--could you do a What If run where only those ballots with at
least, say, four or five ranked games?

> I plan to post my thoughts about the other games at some point, but
> I'll start with some thoughts about my own game, Pylon.  First off,
> yes, David, you are correct about the rules: you can only move stacks
> onto other stacks, i.e. non-empty squares.  I'll add that
> clarification to the rules on the Wiki.

Thanks.

And another general request: Could we start breaking out game-specific
chat into their own threads (or take it to the Talk pages of the wiki)?
Just to be a bit more organized and to make later archive searching
somewhat manageable (and so others can ignore us, if they so desire).

> About theme: obviously theme is not important to me in a simple game
> like Pylon, and I didn't even bother trying to come up with one

Hmmm... IceTowers... a bit of Martian Mud Wrestling... moving stacks
onto stacks....

Maybe you could rename it to "Pile On" and "theme" it with a little
story about this ancient Martian children's game...?
:)

> I'm looking forward to seeing the games in the next competition.
> Designers, get to work!

NO! Err, well, fine: we should always be working on games!

But the basic rules for the next IGDC are NOT decided at all, in
particular any design restriction(s) and whether designers can or can
not rank their own games (requested earlier, now being resisted; go
figure). Go to the IGDC Talk page to weigh in on Winter 2008....

David