Re: [Icehouse] Time's Running Out on IGDC Winter 2008 Polls

  • From"Avri Klemer" <avri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 29 Oct 2007 12:47:33 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Timothy Hunt" <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...I think we've sort of been hammering on them for some time, now,
outside of the competition. There's a total of 36; in fact, there's
more: I don't list games on that page until I am out of playtesting,
some others also comply with that general request (see Games Under
Development page), and so there's bound to be a handful more to come
once their rules are nailed down.

One thing I did notice is that that single-set category includes
Martian Coasters.  That's not a "commonly owned item" like a chess
board would be.  I think, perhaps, that single-set should not simply
refer to the number of TH sets needed, but also that only common items
are needed.  MC ought to come under something like "single-set-plus"
(and all single-set games would be included in single-set-plus).

I actually just put together a list of games suitable for the proposed Pocket Pyramids booklet. David had suggested that these games be single stash games that required only a chessboard in addition to the pyramids:

From http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Pocket_Pyramids:
"As a final note, I am thinking of making it STRICTLY "pocket pyramids," which is to say that any game that needs equipment other than one TH set and the chessboard bandanna will be cut. The idea is for, literally, a booklet, bandanna, and tube fitting in a pocket; not a booklet, tube, coasters, bandanna, six dice, 10 poker chips, a deck of cards, etc (gotta have some BIG pockets for some of these games!)."

Using this restriction, I came up with over 20 games that will find their way into Pocket Pyramids.

> My second choice would be games that use 2 Treehouse sets (or parts
> thereof). As we pitch people on the system, we look forward to being > able
> to say "here are some games you can play when you get your second set,"

...Unless there's a strong, last-minute quorum and consensus
otherwise--and given that "xHOUSE" is the current leader, with three
votes (counting yours) out of 6/7 votes so far--2HOUSE will probably be
the restriction for Winter 2008.

I think 2HOUSE would be my favourite suggestion too.

So, we have a solid set of single stash games, and 3HOUSE is an existing product. Seems clear, then, that 2HOUSE is the way to go. Martian Coasters will no doubt get more love a little further down the line . . .