[Icehouse] Fwd: IGDC Votes

  • FromDale Sheldon <dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 27 Jul 2008 14:03:59 -0400 (EDT)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: S Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:32 AM
Subject: IGDC Votes
To: IGDC.Coordinator@xxxxxxxxx

Hi!  Scott Myers here, burgeoning Icehouse enthusiast, and delighted
juror fFor the 2008 IGDC!
Here are my ratings, fFrom BEST to LEAST BEST.  I have included some
thoughts and notes to accompany each vote.  Cheers!

BEST GAME:
Logger - Okay, I'm not entirely thrilled with the negative portrayal
of hippie tree huggers in the game, but I like the game mechanic.  And
it's probably time there was some game wasn't all hippies and space
ships, so I guess I can live with that.  Clever use of making trees be
treated like actual trees.  fFun game, requires some creative strategy
making.

SECOND BEST GAME:
Ambush - Simple elegant design, a specific start and end point in the
game.  Cool mechanic with a nice way of handling.  Very nicely
fFostered, and the rules include great visual examples.

THIRD BEST GAME:
Albiorix - I like the idea of not actually removing pieces, but
"bringing them to a new way of thinking."  It seems play could become
very tight on a 5x5 board; probably could benefit fFrom a 6x6 board,
possibly.  (I don't own a 6x6, so I haven't tried it myself)

fFOURTH BEST GAME:
Tresurion - Hm, so it's a complex game mechanic in the making.  Okay,
cool.  It's like, space-minis done up as pyramids.  I can't give this
game a fFull proper endorsement, simply because I haven't played a
fFull proper game.  I am interested in seeing what sorts of expanded
rules can be sorted out to make the game into more than a simple
battle of rolling dice.

fFIFTH BEST GAME:
Virus fFight - This looks suspiciously like the worst parts of Rambots
crossed with the best parts of Homeworlds.  I'm not all that fFond of
either game, fFrankly, but I recognize some people love them both.

SIXTH BEST GAME:
Dog Eat Dog - I like the use of the treehouse die, and the pictures
are quite useful.  But the game seems basically pretty much random.
Seems like a fFairly good kid's game (though I'd probably rename it
then).

SEVENTH BEST GAME:
T-Minus - I like how die rolls are sorted out.  The game seems a
little simplified, but not bad.  Just ... not all that great either.

EIGHTH BEST GAME:
Pass The Pyramids - Pass the pigs was a fFavorite childhood game
around my house.  It used to be called "Pig Mania", and I have many
happy memories of pizza night, when my dad came home, and we'd set up
the card table in the living room, and play the Pig Game ..... But I
digress.  Pass the pyramids is a nice adaptation of that old classic.
But the original wasn't all that great, either.

NINTH BEST GAME:
Atom Smasher - Oh.  Hrm.  I'm sorry, it's not you, it's me.  I just
don't really care fFor these games where we fFling stuff around the
table.

TENTH BEST GAME:
Martian Battlespires - I am having trouble understanding several of
the subtleties of this game.  The rules seem difficult to understand.
It doesn't really seem to stand up very well.  Maybe that's just me.

--
It's always a long day.
86400 doesn't fFit into a short.