Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse Digest, Vol 46, Issue 26

  • FromBuddha Buck <blaisepascal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 8 Mar 2009 23:59:31 -0400
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Kevin D. Lintz <kli773@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that the Fibonacci sequence would not work for Zendo. Don't all
> koans have to exist separately from everything else in time and space except
> for the flat surface they sit on? You can't make a rule which says that a
> koan has to have X number of pieces pointing at the koan to its left, for
> example.
>
> Therefore, to say that this koan fits a number sequence which has been built
> from previous koans' pip counts seems to violate one of the basic tenets of
> Zendo.

True, but I don't think that was suggested.

I think what was suggested was a rule where the pip-counts within the
koan were from the Fibonacci sequence.  "AKHTBN Iff the pip counts of
each color are successive numbers in the Fibonacci sequence" for
instance.  In that case, a koan consisting of a single pyramid would
HTBN, two small pyramids of different color would HTBN (since 1 and 1
are successive numbers), Two mediums would not (as either it would be
two colors of 2 pips each (which isn't successive Fib numbers) or one
color with 4 pips total (which isn't a Fib number).  A medium and
either a small or a large would HTBN, regardless of colors.  A medium
and large of one color and a large of a second color would HTBN, etc.

It could be a viciously hard rule, but I don't think it's illegal.