Re: [Icehouse] Zendo Puzzle

  • FromNick Lamicela <nupanick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 11 Mar 2009 22:04:03 -0400
sounds fun. I'll do that now and post again when I think I've got something.
~nupanick (or other appropriate name)

===================
Guvf VF zl jvggl fvtangher.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Christopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Geniuses,

I'm helping my sister-in-law design a puzzle for her D&D campaign, and she'd like to use a Zendo-like (VERY Zendo-like) puzzle to protect a vital treasure room.  I've designed the room, but I just need the perfect rule and four koans...

Here's the setup:

This semi-circular room contains six pillars arranged in an arc in alternating colors of black and white.  Atop each of the two columns on the far left and each of the two columns on the far right sits three large crystal pyramids each, in various orientations and designs.  Scattered beside the two empty columns flanking the door that sits at the midpoint of the arcing room, one black and one one, lie several more crystal pyramids. In the center of the large stone door hangs a circular stone button carved with three triangular shapes.

The challenge is to build a koan atop each of the empty columns using exactly three of the pyramids from the floor for each, one that matches the rule on the white column and one that does not on the black.  We have here a sort of "meta rule" that says a koan is not even valid (it is neither black nor white) if it contains more or less than three pyramids (the stone button does nothing when pressed in that situation, while the door opens if correct koans are placed and a chain golem assembles itself and attacks if an incorrect set of koans is in place).

Please help me design the rule and the koans, making sure that there is a valid solution from the leftover pyramids, assuming Rainbow 3HOUSE, minus the black (nine pyramids each of red, yellow, blue, and green).

Anyone up for the challenge?

Icehouse mailing list
Icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx