Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Spring 2009 One Week To Design!

  • FromDale Sheldon <dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 13 Apr 2009 15:01:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Nick Lamicela wrote:

I have no game design but will definitely submit a ballot if I can even test
two of the games. What type of voting are we using?

Score each game 1 to 10 on a half-point scale or "no opinion".

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:37:00 -0400
From: David Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Icehouse Discussion List <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter 2009?

<...>

Give a game a rating, from 1 to 10, per Board Game Geek guidelines on your enjoyment, likely replayability, and desire to promote the game to others (which is what I read between the lines of their preference rating system). Half-points are allowed if they simply MUST be used to give a marginal nudge for a preferential game. An "X" vote for "No Opinion" is permitted, as it doesn't affect the game's average. Note that a game's total score (sum, not average) must be at least 50% of the sum received by any game, to win.

The highest average rating wins, with ties broken by the votes exceeding arithmetic mean: Each tied candidate receives one point for each voter who rates him above the voter's arithmetic mean score for all the tied candidates. Ratings at or below the arithmetic mean receive zero points. The candidate with the most points wins. VEAM has the advantage over random ballot in that it will make more voters happy. In fact, if a "happy" voter is one who feels that candidate X was better than a random choice among the tied-candidates, then this method to choose X maximizes the number of happy voters. (from RangeVoting.org)

Sounds complex, but it's really just this for judges: "Give a game a rating on a scale of 1 to 10, or put No Opinion. There are no 0 ratings; they will be treated as No Opinion."

Dale Sheldon
dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx