[Icehouse] Help with Icehouse Wiki editing

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 28 Oct 2009 21:57:42 -0400
I have a few questions about the Icehouse wiki based on my experience
putting up my first page there
(http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Treehouse_Snakes_and_Ladders.):

1. When I first previewed my page, it started with the description of
a whole different game! -- I forget which one -- before showing what I
had written.  After several attempts to fix this, I found that after I
deleted the line that said: "{{Under Development|Playtesting}}" the
other game's info vanished.  Eventually I put that line back in, but
the problem did not reappear, even though I tried putting it in at
several different places.  So, I guess that wasn't the cause.  Anyone
else ever see this happen?

2. I used the Infobox_Game template.  Several fields in it were left
blank, and I was about to ask for the syntax to fill them in; but just
checking them out again, I was able to figure out most of them.
Below, I show things that didn't work -- either copied from another
game's source page, or that I guessed on my own -- and what did work:

A. Number of players:
Bad:
  players=2-5|
or
  min_players=2
  max_players=5
Good:
  min_players=2|
  max_players=5|

B. Playing time:
Bad:
  playing_time=[[:category:half hour|half hour]]|
Good:
  min_playing_time=15 minutes|
  max_playing_time=45 minutes|

C. Number of sets or stashes:
Bad:
  stashes=|
or
  icehouse_stashes=|
Good:
  stashes=0|
  sets=1|

D. Mechanics:
Bad:
  mechanics=[[:category:Roll and Move|Roll and Move]]|
Good:
  mechanic1=Roll and Move|

E. Theme:
Bad:
  theme=[[:category:Race|]]|
Good:
  theme=Race|

This is all based on experimentation.  Could someone who knows how
this stuff works please explain the reasons behind the above examples?

3. I was not able to figure out how to have a field in the infobox not
appear, namely Additional Mechanic.  Neither
  mechanic2=
nor
  mechanic2=|
works.