Re: [Icehouse] Help with Icehouse Wiki editing

  • FromDavid Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 30 Oct 2009 10:02:01 -0400
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Bryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. When I first previewed my page, it started with the description of
a whole different game! -- I forget which one -- before showing what I
had written.  After several attempts to fix this, I found that after I
deleted the line that said: "{{Under Development|Playtesting}}" the
other game's info vanished.  Eventually I put that line back in, but
the problem did not reappear, even though I tried putting it in at
several different places.  So, I guess that wasn't the cause.  Anyone
else ever see this happen?

I see nothing in History to explain this behavior--did you only see it in Preview? If so... well, I'll blame the gremlins. :)

Good:
 min_players=2|
 max_players=5|
 min_playing_time=15 minutes|
 max_playing_time=45 minutes|
 stashes=0|
 sets=1|
 mechanic1=Roll and Move|
 theme=Race|
This is all based on experimentation.  Could someone who knows how
this stuff works please explain the reasons behind the above examples?

The vertical bar is required to separate the parameters of the Infobox. Without it... uh, weird stuff will likely happen--i.e. you'll populate a numeric field with a number and then the subsequent field's name and and equal sign and its intended value, and so on to subsequent fields until it hits another vertical bar or the end of the box. Note that all the above "good" values end in " | ".

3. I was not able to figure out how to have a field in the infobox not
appear, namely Additional Mechanic.  Neither
 mechanic2=
nor
 mechanic2=|
works.

Well, one part of me wants to say that you could figure out if there is any other mechanic (e.g. Stacking). VERY few games really only use one. But there's nothing wrong with putting in "none," except that it will make a wonky "none" Category of which only your game will be a member. :}

On the other hand, you *should* be able to leave it blank (" mechanic2=| "), because that works fine with the image_link field. Looking at the template:
| colspan=2 align=center |{{{image_link}}}
| [[Additional Mechanic::{{{mechanic2}}}]]

...my guess is that it won't accept a blank because it's designed to also auto-generate a Category (Additional Mechanic) using the syntax... and that won't be happy blank. (?) Someone with Semantic Wiki experience could explain more--a brief surge to shift to that is what cause the Infobox Game to be redesigned in the first place.

Hope this helps;
David